Monday, January 4, 2010

It’s a new year…

My New Year’s resolution is to not let the little things in life get me down. That seems like a really mundane resolution, but in the grand scheme of things it’s really not. It’s very easy to get so caught up in the “blips” on the radar screen that we overlook the big things. The little things do sometimes build up and become bigger issues, but we don’t have to let them.

I tell my kids and my sister to not sweat the small stuff and to more or less pick their battles. That’s advice that I really try to follow myself and sometimes I am more successful than others. My biggest issues are Ron’s health and my acceptance of my responsibilities to make his life more enjoyable. I’m very lucky to have someone in my life who loves me unconditionally and that I can turn to with any issue and he’ll really listen to what I have to say. So what if I have to do some unpleasant cleaning more often than I’d like to? So what if I have extra laundry because – well, just because? Thank God that I have the opportunity to have to do these chores. That means that I’m capable of doing them and I need to be more grateful that I can.

Ron is falling more and the tremors are sometimes very bad. There are times when they’re hardly noticeable, but other times he shakes pretty violently. He is down quite a bit and said Saturday night that he needed to be in a care home to relieve my burdens. I had just done some pretty heavy duty cleaning, but that doesn’t happen that often so I told him that he just needed to can that crap. I do wonder where this year will take us, though. I’m an eternal optimist and I believe that we will persevere and get through any challenges that come our way.

We do have a new challenge to start the year with. The callous that had been just slightly irritated is now a full-fledged hole. I’ve called Dr. Heady and I’m trying to move his appointment from next week to today. So far, they haven’t called back and he’s only in the office during the morning hours on Monday. I’m afraid that waiting until the 11th will give this thing more time to get worse and we’ll be looking at a multi-month battle, just like the past two holes.

Charge! Forward the artillery! Bring out the heavy guns!

OK - so maybe that line doesn't make sense here but it was all I could think of. Got to end the post on a light note because I said last year that I'd work hard on not posting things that were depressing. {smack} Just reminded myself with a smack of the hands. Off to work...

1 comment:

Rae said...

That seems like a big resolution to keep - not letting the little things get you down. I think it happens regardless of who we are or what we are going through. It is just a part of life.
You are certainly carrying a heavy load of things to deal with. You are an amazing individual. I am sure Ron is much better with you as his care provider than in a care home. That would be a difficult decision to make.
Best wishes to you and Ron for this new year. Keep on "charging forward"