Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Dynamic Duo - Moya and Ian - Jamaica Tours Ltd.


Jamaica Tours, Ltd has two of the best and nicest employees known to man.

Our trip to Dunn's River Falls and Dolphin Cove was made all the more enjoyable by our tour guide and our driver. This picture is a bit grainy because of the humidity and the camera got all fogged up when it was taken out of the bag.

We were greeted bright and early at our hotel by this big bear of a man - Ian - and introduced to our tour guide. Ian was an excellent driver and kept us quite entertained on the way to our destination with comments and questions. After the first half of our day, he gave us a couple of different options for lunch and I was very pleased with the suggestion that we selected. The food was great and the waterfall outside of the establishment was beautiful. I just wish I'd had my camera so I could have taken some pictures of it  and now I can't even remember the name of the place. {sigh} Old age...

Our tour guide, Moya, is a tiny little thing (she's got 4 kids!) and Isaiah was immediately drawn to her. He didn't want to leave her side and even said he was going to get his bag and his game to go to her house. It took some convincing on our part that he really did need to come with us because we would miss him - and his "Crampa" would miss him, too. Reluctantly, he said he'd stay with us but Moya could come visit him when ever she wanted to.

Although an English speaking country, Jamaicans also speak Patois. Moya taught us a little bit of Jamaica's version of the language, but I must say that if we were to be tested, we'd all fail miserably. The only thing I remember is "mi a" which means "I am".

As we were about to the end of our return destination (the hotel), Moya told us a story that shall forever ring in my ears. It involved her granny, who was always saying, "Moya, shut'cha mouth" when it was time for Moya to answer a question - in particular, a question relating to getting married. The story goes on to say that granny eventually passed away, so when it was time for Moya to say "I do," there was not voice to say, "Moya, shut'cha mouth!"

All in all, it was a great day with them. I wished they could have been our companions for the entire trip. Ian sent his regards to Ron (which Ron really appreciated, and appreciated the fact that Ian took such good care of us).

So - hats off to Moya and Ian. If you ever find yourself in Montego Bay, Jamaica - and in need of outstanding driver and tour service, give Jamaica Tours, Ltd a call and request the dynamic duo. And - if Moya and Ian ever find themselves visiting the states, I hope they let us know and maybe we can return the "tour guide" favor to them!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds wonderful and what a cute story.

SkippyMom said...

What a great time! You describe it so well, I can almost feel like I was with you. :D [Now I want to go to Jamaica just to meet up with Moya and Ian]