Friday, June 3, 2011

Well, that was a bust

I told them I didn't think 10mg Valium would cut it. I took 1/2 Xanax this morning and the other half on the way to the doctor's office. When I got there (40 minutes later), I took the Valium. They waited 30 minutes to give them time to kick in and make me sleepy.

They never did. The tech could not believe that I was not only up and fully functioning, but that I didn't even look like they had given me a thing. I said that I've had Valium maybe 4 times in my life with this same result. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I drove home about 30 minutes after having an injection of 20mg of Valium. It just doesn't have the desired effect on me.

But, I was willing to give it a shot because I didn't really feel anxious. I went in, got comfortable on the little narrow table and thought the "tube" they were going to put me in was pretty tight. We discussed how far in she'd have to put me and how still I'd need to lay. We discussed putting towels around my head to help me keep my head still and I said that would not be a problem. I was pretty comfortable.

I asked for a dry run. She agreed.

She put me in the tube and about 30 seconds later I said, "This is not going to work. Get me out." I was calm but very firm in the fact that I would not be able to lay there for up to an hour. If the Valium hadn't done anything noticeable in 40 minutes, then whatever it had done, would wear off before the tests were done. We tried to find something else that we could do. Nothing today. She kept telling my doctor's nurse that I was just not fazed by the Valium at all.

I have an appointment for IV sedation on June 22 at a local hospital. That's what I asked for in the first place. I've had 10mg Valium in an open MRI before and didn't work. I've had Versed in a closed MRI and half-way through it they had to give me more.


Bouncin' Barb said...

Don't you hate it when the doctors and nurses don't listen to you? It irks me to no end. We know our bodies better than anyone else. Shame on your doctor for not listening to you. Let's hope the next time around it's a winner and you get this behind you. Sorry you had to go through that.

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

Yep I'm with Barb I get really pissed off when the so call professionals will not listen to me.

Thisisme. said...

Me too! We know our own bodies better than any professional. That was a real nuisance that you had to go through all that, and now have to do it all again. Really hope it works this time so that, as BB said, you can put it behind you. Hugs!

SkippyMom said...

Sorry about this Tee - you would think your records would support you when you say 10 mgs don't work.

Oh well....just a few more weeks and you WILL be able to relax through it.

Hang in there. :)

Pat said...

With my wi-fi being so sporadic here, I must have missed something. WHY are you having an MRI?

I recently had to have one of my brain and I had to convince myself all the way through it that I would be fine. The worst part of the whole ordeal was that my back hurt me so bad and it cramped up. Otherwise I survived. It helped that they gave me headphones and had music piped in.

Good luck. I heard that an open MRI is much better, too.

Somnia said...

I had it when doctors don't listen to me. They think they know what they are doing but in reality they have no clue. I hope this will eventually work itself out and you will get the sedative you need so you can put this behind you.