Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Who wants to give me $10,000?

LOL - did that get your attention? A friend of mine told me about a blog where the person was looking for donations and actually put a PayPal link on the blog. I was astounded. And slightly amused. I wish I could find the blog again.

I can't imagine being as far in debt as this person is - just on credit cards. Sure, people can get into trouble with credit cards but to be tens of thousands in debt on credit cards - there's something wrong with that. We've over-extended ourselves before, but never to that level and only after something major has happened - health crisis, job loss, etc.

Not just shopping. And shopping. And more shopping. I like nice things just as much as the next person but not at the expense of my sanity and financial health. We've made some (what turned out to be) bad business decisions so I can't say that we've done everything right. If we had, we wouldn't be in the shape we're in right now. But you just can't plan on things always working out the way you think they will.

Ron was supposed to work two more years after we moved in here. He worked six weeks instead and then got barely enough in short-term disability pay to cover his medical expenses. We were in a pickle. I had planned on taking his salary to pay bills and then the extra money he was getting from his mom's life insurance and paying it directly on debt. It obviously didn't work out that way.

Now instead of having that money to pay extra, we've been living on it. We don't owe tons and tons, but we owe enough that it concerns me. Our medical bills have caused a great deal of financial strain on our budget. The wound vac (as I've mentioned before) is a big expense and I dread opening mail from that company. Because of what we had to do in other areas, we still owe income tax. I'm paying for that each month but it would have been nice if I had been able to do things differently.

I'm not young enough to handle the physical stress of a second job, in addition to the things I already do. I have thought about it but I just don't see that it's possible. I have decided to try and sell my services to create custom scrapbooks for people who either do not have time, don't want to, or don't know how to scrapbook their own pictures. I get lots of compliments on the things that I do so maybe I could advertise to sell those services. It would be nice. I'm trying to come up with a name that isn't already taken - and doesn't sound corny. Ron thought of "scrappinmemories" but that's taken. There are a lot of scrapping companies out there and I intend to be one of them.

If that fails, I guess there's always the PayPal link on my blog. Right???

No comments: