Saturday, January 17, 2009

Grand Torino

I am not a fan of Clint Eastwood. In fact, I can honestly say I've never really cared for any of his movies, at least not enough to willingly pay money to sit in a theater to watch them. I'll sit at home while one is on or even consent to renting a DVD, but not spend a small fortune for the privilege of sitting with about 50 of my closest friends (hahaha) to watch one.

I do have to say that I would take that back if all of them were of the same quality as Grand Torino. The language is awful, the slurs fly thick and heavy, it's funny, sad, and very touching.

Clint Eastwood plays a snarky old man who has nothing nice to say about anyone except his deceased wife. Even his own children (two boys) don't like him and his grandchildren are totally disrespectful. As much as I'd like to think that families wouldn't treat their elders with so much obvious contempt, I'm afraid that it is probably more common than anyone would like to admit.

The other main characters of the show are all Asian and the story unfolds around Walt's (Clint Eastwood) relationship with his neighbors. I won't spoil the storyline, but be prepared to be entertained and saddened. Even though it's a bit predictable, the ending is sad and bittersweet at the same time.

I highly recommend this movie for adults. I would not allow anyone under the age of 17 to watch it. Movies have a rating code for a reason and this one deserves it's adult content rating. Although there is no nudity, there is plenty of bad language and racial slurs. Taken with a grain of salt, and the realization that this is real life for some people, it's worth at least renting and watching on DVD when it comes out.

I have to rent it to watch again because I lost some of the conversation with the laughter going on around me.

No comments: