Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snowy day...

We're not getting quite the snow that was predicted, and we didn't get all the ice first - but we got enough to make driving treacherous. Schools all closed due to the wind chill factor and the fact that the snow isn't supposed to stop until tonight.

I opted to stay home from work today. Out of my department of 10, only three managed to make it in. I was going to go in late but Keith got stuck in front of our driveway (facing the wrong direction, I might add) and we can't get his car off the sheet of ice that is under the snow. He's got a 2004 Mustang and we have lots of weight in the trunk, but it's not going anywhere. We've got to get it moved sometime today because we don't want to leave it out all night and I have to go to work tomorrow.

I've got a pot of beans in the crock pot so we'll have some good old comfort food later today. I know that beans are high in potassium, but that will be his daily allotment for today. I've added onion, chicken stock, and smoked sausage for flavoring. They smell wonderful! I hope I have some cornbread mix but if not, I have biscuits in the freezer that I can bake.

Here's a shot across the lake. The visibility is not good. The houses on the other side are not that far away. I took this picture out the dining room window.

15 comments:

LBB said...

Great day for a warm cozy meal. We're also having snow today. I should say snow "storm" . The girls are hoping for a school closing tomorrow & I think they'll get it :)

Rae said...

It's a good day to stay inside and keep warm. We have ice. The snow is just starting. The forecasters have lowered their prediction - only 12 inches - better than the original 18 I suppose. Stay safe and enjoy your day at home.

Southhamsdarling said...

Stay inside and keep yourself warm, Teresa, and please don't go driving if the roads are still bad tomorrow. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're still cozy as I read this! Stay home and stay off the bad roads!

Teresa said...

Just finished eating a bowl of beans and polished off TWO biscuits! Oh man! They were so good.

I was having a low blood sugar and didn't realize it and then all of a sudden, I started getting the shakes (dead giveaway). I had already eaten two pieces of toast and some blueberries and then my sugar was 79. Wonder what it was before I started my food fest...

Jumble Mash said...

I cannot wait until spring. I am so sick of snow. I told Boyfriend I was going to take some food dye and color the yard green just beause I was tired of seeing white. I don't think he thinks I'll do it.

caterpillar said...

God...the comfort food sounds truly comforting...I heard that the weather's bad from one of my colleagues...so, drive safe, n take care.

BB said...

I wish you warm weather and sunshine very soon. Enough already.

Kristen said...

Happy Snow Day(s)!!! I love it!!! Unfortunatley I live in the snowbelt and we are way to used to this weather, so in to work I go tomorrow and today... ;(

SkippyMom said...

I miss bean soup - too high in sodium :( - I still make it for the family, but boy-o I miss it. Yum - so comforting.

I did see a recipe that used smoked turkey leg I might try that would reduce it...we'll see.

Hope you have a safe trip to work tomorrow and the weather warms up soon.

Jimmy said...

A pot of beans along with bread is good but really raises my blood sugar, I bet yours made a jump after the toast and blueberries too. I agree 79 was most likely a good bit higher than where you started.

Keep yourself warm, this will all be over soon and summertime will be here

Donna B. said...

Oh I can smell those beans from here!! YUM! Nothing like a snow day! Are you still in your house or have you moved yet? I have to go back and read to catch up...

We've had such high winds and cold over here, our family doctor called with a courtesy call to remind us to stay in if possible. If we go out we should cover our mouth with a scarf.

Pat said...

Hope you didn't get hit too bad! My family members in Chicago got 20 inches of snow!

Stay warm!

Julie said...

Yay for snow days and comfort food!!

Marla said...

How crazy is this weather?