Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chicken Pot Pies

Thanks to Skippymom for this great idea! I've been promising Ron for over a week that I was going to make "nearly" homemade chicken pot pies. But, we had the fridge fiasco (that was a mess!) so I didn't get around to it until today.

I started out with canned white meat chicken, and drained the water off. I put that in a sauce pan and added a can of low-sodium chicken broth. (I could have used 1/2 of it since I ended up draining off a bunch of it, but this was trial and error cooking. LOL!) I added a bag of frozen vegetables and 1/2 of a chopped white onion, and ground black pepper. I brought that to a boil and let it cook for five minutes.

While that was cooking, I got out the store-brand pie crusts (cheaper than the national brand and just as good). I cut out tops from one sheet, with some left over that I rolled back out and made the bottom crust for one (I made individual pies). I took the other sheet and cut it into thirds and lined the other little pies. I poked them with a fork and baked at 425 for 6 minutes so they wouldn't be too soggy once I added the liquid stuff (I hate soggy!).

After the chicken and vegetables were done cooking, I used some evaporated milk and cornstarch to thicken the sauce. That's when I decided that I could have used less than one-half of the can of chicken stock. I drained off as much as I thought I needed to actually leave some liquid but not make the pies soggy. (Did I say I hate soggy?)

I spooned the chicken mixture into the shells, poured in the thickened sauce (I didn't use any butter at all), and topped the mixture with the shell tops. I popped them into the 425 oven and baked for 30 minutes (I preheated my stone while the oven was preheating).

I think they turned out very well - and they were delicious!!!! It did make a pretty big serving but since that was all we had, it wasn't too bad. Neither of us could completely finish our portion, though. I hated to toss what was left of mine but I did sacrifice it to the great garbage disposal.... We have the other two pies for tomorrow.

6 comments:

not displayed said...

Sounds delicious. Love experimenting in the kitchen

Lois said...

I have never heard of canned chicken. Is it low sodium, or do you use it for convenience? Love chicken pot pies, and haven't made them in years due to husband's high cholestoral, and piecrust is a baddy. Now I have it too, so tortiere at Yule will be not as plentyful this year! when I make it I always buy pre-made crusts, can't seem to be bothered with making my own. Be well! Lois.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I use leftover chicken for mine. I love to make something out of leftovers. It helps stretch my food budget.

Kristen said...

YUM! Thanks for the idea!!!!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

They sound nice but I have never heard of canned chicken but then I have never looked for it either so who knows the supermarket may have it.......lol I think it is just so much easier now days to buy pre-made pastry, I have memories of my mum making pastry though and she use to make some great pastry

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Teresa,
To tell the truth,I haven't baked antything(^^;) Yeah, shame on me, haha.
It sure does look delicious and I truly wish to try some with you or learn from you.
PS> I hope your tooth is not nagging you too much!!! My hubby has an appointment tommomrow as well.

Love you always from Japan, xoxo Miyako*