Saturday, June 9, 2012

You know what a city-wide garage sale is like?

Black Friday shopping!!!! Crazy people doing crazy things. It was like people rushing to get to the sale to make sure they had the best opportunity to buy stuff belonging to someone else. It was amazing. There were people turning left in front of others, stepping out into the street without looking for oncoming cars, putting their cars in reverse and starting to back up without looking, etc. And, that was just the stuff that I did.  LOL - j/k... That was really just a few of the things I saw others doing.

Our little town had their city-wide sale today but a lot of people opened 4:00pm to 7:00pm (odd hours - but some were open as late as 8:30pm) and then most were open 8:00am until NOON! That is an odd thing for me - I've never lived any place else that had such odd garage sale hours. It's so hard for working people to hit sales that are open during the day (so, I guess that's why some were open last night) and really hard to make it to all the sales if they're only open for four hours during the day. Plus, I watched Anna for a couple of hours so I missed a lot.

Last night, I picked up a really nice end table (antique) that is just like ones we had when I was growing up. The lady said they were antique - I said that my parents had a set so I knew they were old. I got one for $20 and I was really glad she sold them separately because I didn't need two. I picked the one that was in the best shape. The lion's mouth is the pull for the little drawer, which is perfect for my reading glasses.


I was looking for a nightstand for Ron, but didn't find one that was in any better condition than the one he has. I got a few things for my newest grandson (Tristan), a couple of shirts for Zachary, a shirt for Alexander, a bib, cap, and onesie (brand new) for my new great-nephew, and a mirror ($2) for my car that attaches to the headrest so when Anna's in her car seat, she can see herself in the mirror. She seemed to like it. I bought her a little V-tech ball for $1 and paid $2.50 toward a really nice structured umbrella stroller (it was $7.50).

I also got Ron one of the little mini Lean Mean Grilling Machines for only $5.50. It doesn't have the drip pan, but I can still fix him a hamburger without heating up a bigger skillet. I got a Christmas decoration for my porch for $8. It's a really cute Santa and tree that's made out of old barn wood and has lights. It's really cute. And, I spent $4 on 40 sheets of scrapbook paper. A lot of it is older paper styles, but can't beat ten cents a sheet.

All in all, it was a pretty good shopping day. I got quite a few great deals and didn't spend too much money doing so. I'll just have to keep looking for the nightstand.

Don't forget to enter one (or both) of the book giveaways! They end tomorrow...

Hope your weekend was great. I think mine has been pretty great.

4 comments:

Lois said...

We've had quite a few around here lately too! My niece is about to give birth to my 12th great-something! And her sister is newly due in Dec! It's so nice to have some babies in the family. My babies are all grown. Eldest is feeling better [mono] and dropped in tonight. Fevers are pretty brutal, but lessening. L

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Teresa,
I am so happy to know that you had a good shopping♡♡♡ The end table is really nice especially like you said, I love the lion's mouth (v^_^v)~*
I wish we have the garage sale here in Japan!!!
Take Care of yourself and Lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako

Donna B. said...

I've been doing a lot of yard sailing and thrifting lately myself. Got some really good bargains. I need to post some of the stuff I got. I too have two different tables like the one you got. I love mine because they do remind me of the past...when we were kids...

I have been so busy with the home projects it is good to be out and about and also back visiting my friends. Hugs to you and Ron.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Some great finds that mini grill is great I have a mini one myself and use it alot........