Thursday, May 22, 2008

Food and Weight - quite the subject!

I think I've managed to lose about 15 pounds following the eating plan I've laid out for Ron. Monday was a really hungry day for me though. I had the munchies but refrained from purchasing anything from the vending machines. Nothing tastes as good as being thinner (and healthier) feels. I have to just keep reminding myself of this when I get an overwhelming urge. It doesn't happen often and it passes quickly (usually). It helps if I go grab a cold glass of water.

When Amy and I went to the store on Sunday I happened to find lamb shoulder chops. I've never fixed lamb before but I knew that we liked it when we've had it in restaurants. I bought it and fixed it Monday night. I seasoned it with some olive oil, parsley, thyme, and rosemary plus a little bit of black pepper and Mrs. Dash table blend. I let it set in a baggie for about 30 minutes and then I grilled it on the stove. Amy, Isaiah, and I thought it was great. We were really surprised that Isaiah liked it so well. He asked me what it was and when I said it was lamb, he said "I love lamb." I also took new red potatoes and cut them in half to bake. I put them in my microwave pressure cooker with all the same seasonings that I put on the lamb and they were yummy. I made asparagus to go with it for us and Amy made broccoli for herself. Isaiah doesn't like either of those but we got him to take a couple of bites of the asparagus by telling him it was the same thing as Junior, one of the characters from Veggie Tales (that's one of his favorite DVD shows). Ron ate the vegetables but not much of the meat. I liked it so much I brought leftovers for my lunch twice this week.

Tuesday night I fried catfish nuggets, fixed the same kind of potatoes, and fixed some frozen artichoke hearts. They were nasty and very bland so they hit the garbage disposal. I even tried spicing them up with Mrs. Dash and that fake spray-on butter. No dice. They needed SALT, which we weren't having. Again Isaiah surprised us by eating a bit of fish. In the past he’s refused to even put it to his lips (except for the times I’ve told him fish sticks were chicken nuggets. Oops…). He ended up eating a couple of the bigger nuggets, which was great.

I'm finally below my first “goal” weight. LOL, I was just 0.2 below it, but that counts all the same. I had been holding at 0.6 over that goal for days and was really getting antsy to have that scale drop down a bit more. It’s been hard to not snack on things. (Amy made brownies this week and I didn't eat any until last night, and then only a small one. But I had another one for lunch today.) I'm not sure exactly how much weight I've lost in the last month; I'll find out tomorrow at the doctor’s office. I’m very pleased with what I’ve accomplished. Taking this just a little bit at a time is what is going to work. My goal is to lose another 15-20 pounds by the time Shaun and Jenny get here in July.

I know the healthier eating is helping me (and Ron). My cholesterol went down from 380 to 189, which is wonderful, and my triglycerides were 125. My Hemoglobin A1C was up from 6.5 to 6.9, but I attribute that to the amount of stress I’ve been under for the past three months.

I'm still coughing and have been since August. I've been on antibiotics, had prescription cough medicine, had prescription asthma medicine and I still cough. I’m glad I decided to go back to the doctor tomorrow and maybe she'll have some other ideas. This lack of sleep is sometimes very hard to deal with. Plus, the sinus drainage during the day is awful and I sound terrible. I have to leave the area several times a day just to clear my sinuses.

Other than the coughing, I feel good and I've got plenty of energy. I think I'm dealing with Ron's health issues quite well and don't feel stressed about him at all. I still struggle to keep a positiveoutlook concerning finances but I know that God is taking care of us and has His hand on our lives. As long as I keep my faith and trust in Him, I know we'll be fine. We've been very blessed throughout this whole ordeal.

No comments: