Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Up all night again (almost)

I got to bed last night about midnight. When I left I told Ron's nurse that there was an alarm going off in his room but I didn't know what it was. I thought it was his IV pump. She said she'd go check it.

I came home, answered some email, and then went to bed. I was sleeping good when the phone rang at 3:15 - which makes a grand total of about 12 hours sleep in three nights. It was Ron and he was all in a tizzy. The respiratory therapist had not set the pressure correctly on the CPAP machine so he said it felt like his head exploded and his ears popped. He took of the mask and someone came in and gave him a hard time over it.Then he told them his hands and feet were on fire - worse than peripheral neuropathy pain normally is. He said they were ignoring him and he thought he was going to die.

He was so convinced last night that he wa's dying that he made me give him some paper so he could write out his will. I did just because he said he didn't want to leave any loose ends and leave me unprotected. We have a will but with the move I don't know what box of paperwork it's in if I needed it.

I called the nursing station at 3:20 and luckily got the nurse who had checked him in on Saturday night. I told her I didn't know what was going on but he felt really bad and I needed someone to check on him. I told her I was on my way as soon as I could get dressed. By the time I got here (a little before 4:00) she had been in to see him, got him adjusted in bed, gave him Dilaudid and Phenergan, and gave him some hot packs for his hands because he was chilling so much. She thought he was asleep but when I came in he was still on the verge of sleep (kind of like me right now). She is very nice. I talked to her for a few minutes.

Ron also said that the alarm was his bed and they didn't figure it out until 2:00 when he called them yet again to take care of it. He had just gotten the pain and nausea med when the nursing aid came in with the scales to weigh him (at 3:30 in the morning!). If he had been asleep she would have woken him up to weigh him.

I hope I can catnap between nurses and doctors being in and out. I already sent my boss a note and said I didn't think I'd be in. LOL, oh well... it's only money.

No comments: