Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History has been made

I cannot say that I am surprised. I expected it. I am not happy about it, but as with the many other things that have transpired in my life, I will deal with it.

No matter which way the vote went, it would have been an historic election. First female vice president or first black (and white) president. It'll all go down in the history books.

I was sorry to read that Senator Obama's "white" grandmother had passed away. Why is it so important to differentiate between his "white" grandmother and his "black" grandmother? Both of my grandsons are of mixed heritage (I don't say race as we're all one race - human - but of different ethnic backgrounds). Should I refer to myself as their white grandmother? Should people refer to me as such? Or, how about my daughter? Is she Isaiah's "white" mother? NO, she is is MOTHER - plain and simple, just as I am his GRANDMOTHER and his "Mexican" grandmother is his grandmother. The mixture of his Hispanic bloodline with our Caucasian/American Indian bloodline is not an issue in our love for him - or his love for us - so should not be an issue to others. The same goes for Alexander. His other grandparents are Chinese and they love his Caucasian part just as much as I love his Chinese part. It's the totality of the person, not the mixing of the bloodline, that makes a person.

So, to say that Obama's white grandmother passes away does her an injustice. She was his grandmother. She didn't care about anything else but loving that child into adulthood. I would like to think that he loved her with the same unwavering love that she must have felt for him. It would be nice to think so.

I pray that God keeps His hand on Senator Obama as he assumes the role he has fought for. I pray that he allows God to lead the way and that he starts each day earnestly seeking wisdom and direction. I pray that his choices for cabinet offices, and any other positions where he has authority, are men and women of God. I know that is a lot to ask, but I believe that God is still in control. He knew the outcome of the election before the first vote was cast. He knows what tomorrow, and all of the tomorrows to come, will bring.

I pray that He continues to guide, protect, and keep my family and I safe in these troubled times.

No comments: