Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cold weather

Ignore the red skin. Ignore the fact that this looks like the hand of an old woman. Ignore the fact that it looks short and fat. It's really just the camera angle. I'm not too great at taking pictures of myself. My arms just aren't long enough to get far enough away from the camera.

Look instead at how many flippin bandages I have on my fingers. It is an annual occurrence and one I do NOT look forward to each year. Same fingers. Usually both hands (for some reason, my left hand is being kind). I wash my hands frequently but I always put lotion on afterwards. I hate the cold weather for this reason more than anything. My job is TYPING. Bandages severely inhibit accuracy. Without bandages it's too painful to strike the keys. Heck, it's too painful to do anything.


What do you all my cold-weather blogging friends (or even the warm-weather ones) use to keep your fingers from splitting??? (The knuckle bandages is a fluke - hit my hand on the wall because I have bad spatial reference and I'm a klutz.)

11 comments:

BB said...

Find Triple Lanolin Aloe Vera Lotion at CVS or Sally's Beauty Supply. A couple times a week at night, slather your hands in it and wrap them in plastic bags. Even the grocery store bags work. The heat that builds up makes the lotion penetrate and the aloe will heal. You have to do it several times a week if they are as bad as you describe. Try it for 2 weeks and tell me how it goes. I was a nail tech and day spa owner so I know a 'little something' about dry skin.

SkippyMom said...

Well I was going to suggest something, but um...Barb ROCKS! Do that. :D

Great idea Barb. Will be storing that one away for future ref.

BB said...

It only works if you keep up with it. Plus it gives you about 15-20 minutes of 'me' time to just sit and relax while it's working. If it's cold in your house, wrap a towel over the plastic bags to insulate. I only tell these little tips to my closest friends. Otherwise I have to charge big bucks!! hahaha

caterpillar said...

I have no idea what to do, but I see Barb has already covered it....I sure hope it heals soon...

Southhamsdarling said...

Well, there you go Teresa - BB to the rescue again! That sounds like a really good tip to me, especially the 'me' time bit as well. Hope it works, because it must be miserable for you having to type at work with those plasters on your fingers.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

When I had my twins in cloth diapers and was a clean freak my hands got so bad I had to see a Dermatologist. He prescribed a cream with zinc oxide. The stuff smelled just like Desitin. I applied it before bed and wore white cotton gloves. It would soak in overnight and within a couple of applications my hands were so much better. I am very careful to use good cream at night now. WalMart has good one that is comparable to Eucerin. It is still a little spendy, but the jar lasts a long time.

weather said...

weather forecast from Global forecast system

snow rain maps

Pat said...

A dermatologist recommended to my friend to use SUPERGLUE to glue shut the cracks in her fingers!

Jane said...

olive oil works too......apply the olive oil then cover with an old pair of socks.

Marla said...

Mine do the same thing. I use cream but to tell the truth, I have no idea how to stop it.

shanananana said...

I know this an old post, and I don't have much to add to the prevention tips, but using those finger cot things that they sell in the first aid aisle instead of bandages might make it easier to type.