Sunday, March 21, 2010

Guess who (or what) is back!!!

I looked out the front door this morning and saw tracks in the snow. Hmmm... Those weren't there last night when I went to bed, so I peeked out the window and, much to my surprise, saw mama duck.

I scared her when I took the picture, so when she moved, I saw she had brought back some of her baby eggs. I wonder where the others are.

I decided that she might be hungry, so I came back inside and broke up a large piece of bread for her and tossed it out onto the sidewalk. I didn't want her to stray too far from her nest so I opted to take these pictures through the glass on my front door. They don't seem to have too much glare on them.



If I thought I could get by with it, I'd throw out a winter scarf for her to pull into her nest but I'm afraid that she would just totally spook. One of the eggs looks like it's got a crack in it. I am almost sure that's from her moving it from one place to another and then back again. It's supposed to get really nice this week so maybe these babies will make it.

I'm not too keen on having duck poop on my sidewalk, and this means that I really won't be able to work in my flower bed to plant some new stuff, but I guess that will be OK. She makes a nice conversation piece. I can give directions to my house with "I live in the place behind the duck house." LOL!

2 comments:

Rae said...

Oh I am so glad to know that she returned. I hope those babies hatch. Keep us posted.

Nancy said...

Oh, I loved this post! When we lived in Minnesota we had a robin nest right outside our front door in a little tree. I wouldn't let anyone use the front door until the babies hatch, LOL!