Saturday, March 20, 2010

Nice conversation

I just had a very nice conversation with Skippymom from I Make Soap. We have a lot in common and we both like to talk. LOL! It was very nice to put a voice with the blog. Pooldad and the girls sound like they're wonderful family members to have. You're right - you are very blessed. It's so nice to have such loving and caring children and spouse. I think Wallene sounds charming and I bet she is a cheerful little thing - kind of like Isaiah - always happy. (Well, he's not always happy if he's getting into the kind of trouble that six year-old boys get into!)

While we talked, I made Ron some chili. He's been in the mood for chili for a while and since it is so cold outside, I decided I was also in the mood for chili. Chicken noodle soup is another cold weather favorite, but I didn't thaw out chicken today; I thawed out hamburger. There's a recipe on the back of the Williams' seasoning packet, but the only thing I follow from there is how much water I put in (1 cup). I didn't have all the ingredients of my regular chili, but I think this turned out pretty good.

Today's Chili

1 pound ground beef (good quality; not much water or fat content)
diced onion (or dried onion flakes if you don't have an onion)
1 packet of Williams' seasoning (the size that is for 2# of hamburger)
1 cup water
1 can chopped tomatoes with Italian seasoning
1 can tomato sauce
3 cans red kidney beans; drained

Brown the hamburger; add onion or onion flakes once the hamburger is about 1/2 finished. Drain off any fat/water. Add the chili seasoning, water, chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir well until all the powdered seasoning is well absorbed. Add the kidney beans and cook until all the flavors have blended well.

I usually let it simmer 30-45 minutes on low heat. You can add shredded cheese, sour cream, crackers, etc. but we like it pretty much without any additions. Ron would have eaten shredded cheese in his but we didn't have any.

My usual chili has a can of chicken stock instead of water, 1 can of black beans, 1 can of Ranchero pinto beans, and 1 can of Mexican-style red beans. It won 2nd place in a chili cooking contest at work so it must be pretty good.

Thanks, Skippymom! We'll have to do that again.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am so glad you called her! Told you she would cheer you up. Did you check on that transportation thing I suggested? I hope there is a solution to take some of the weight off your shoulders.
I like those Williams seasoning packets, too and use them a lot.

SkippyMom said...

I had the best time talking to you today - always good to have a laugh and chat.

Now you have me craving chili - that is almost like we make ours, although we use McCormick seasoning packets and diced onion with no tomato sauce - okay, okay, maybe it isn't the same ;)

It is going to be 70 degrees today, so I think we are moving on to warmer weather fair [no chili, chicken soup, etc :(] but excited for a nice salad and a little grilling.

I hope we get to talk again soon. You are a treat and I thank you.