Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Here I am...

Yesterday was really a pretty easy day. I must have had a ton of people praying for me and for me to not have any anxiety, because I did not. I didn't need anything prior to the "pre-op cocktail" they routinely give and I handled the oxygen mask very well. Usually, I can't stand to have the mask on my face. Coming out of the general anesthesia was the most difficult part. That feeling is always so unnatural (not quite the word I want, but close). You struggle to regain consciousness and not be too anxious at having all the paraphernalia attached to your body. I remembered from another surgery that if I breathed deeply with the oxygen mask on, they would remove it sooner because my O2 levels would come back up faster. So, I did. Even though I didn't like the mask I knew that it was necessary.

I had (and still have) the typical sore throat and raspiness following being intubated. I don't like that or the related chest congestion that goes along with it. I'm making sure that I cough and do what I'm supposed to be doing.

Ron took my picture with my cell phone.

The lovely headband is pretty tight and my head itches under it. I can take that off in about 4 hours (it's supposed to stay on 24 hours). I am taking Benadryl for the itch, Tylenol 3 for the pain, and hot green tea for my throat. My ear hurts but I think it's because they folded it up and out of the way to get to the surgery site. The Tylenol 3 is handling the pain just fine (I had to take 2 of them to stay asleep but that's not too bad). And, I am taking them as often as the prescription says to take them. Otherwise, I hurt. Like a migraine with my head in a vice.

The numbness of my scalp may be an issue. It's really numb. I don't like that. But, I think that I will get used to it. It might take a while (LOL - and a few doses of Xanax) but it will eventually become something that will feel normal. I read that it can take several months for the feeling to come back. What you have after 12 months will be ALL that you will get back. We'll have to see how that works out.

Thank you all for your prayers, healing thoughts and wishes, and anything else. I truly appreciate it.

(I received a new award from my friend Diane over at Southamsdarling. I will have to wait until a bit later in the week before I can properly take care of it. Still having a bit of blurry vision. But - thank you, Diane!)


Thisisme. said...

I'm sure all your friends will be pleased to read this post from you Teresa , and I'm so pleased that all the prayers and loving thoughts helped you along the way. You did very well my friend. I can imagine that your poor head hurts, and that numbness must be a bit strange. Let's hope that the feeling will come back fairly soon for you. Hopefully the op was a complete success - loved the photo that Ron took! Sending you a big 'get well soon' hug.

lyndylou said...

Hope you feel better soon and I am glad you weren't too stressed before the op :)

SkippyMom said...

Nice headband girlie.

What is it with you and Ron taking pictures of eachother in the hospital? LOL - that just isn't nice.

Glad you are relaxing and recovering.

Take care and feel better soon.

Bouncin' Barb said...

I'm so glad everything went well and you're able to type. The worst part is over and now you can get to healing. Ron took a great picture. You look so comfy. Glad you're not in too much pain either. Hugs my friend!

labbie1 said...

Glad to hear that you are on the mend and the pain meds are handling the discomfort.

I'm also glad to hear that you came through like a champ and didn't have high anxiety while in recovery.

Keeping you in thoughts and prayers that all will be well and you will be hearing soon!

Kristen said...

But you look gorgeous! You are a trooper and a wonderful lady! Feel Better fast!
PS - good point - no one brought me cookies, but SOMEONE brought me poop. Nice!

orchid said...

I just read your post and mail☆☆☆
Thank God, I can see the op went well. OH, how brave and strong person you are!!!
I wouldn't be able to write a new post, if I were you. Thank you very much letting us know how you are doing. Reading your post, I can see how you calmly examine your condition.
Definitely the op will work and you will have another world of good hearing.
Yes, my haring aid has the trouble and the noise is really annoying. It is nice that you have good hearing with your left side. I have had my condition since I was born, maybe that is why I haven't had feeling of urgency.
Thank you concerning about my left ear, I will write why I'm postponing vising doctor some another time.
I am sure your headband came off by now and HOPE you're NOT feeling any pain. I wonder how are the uncomfortable feeling on your chest and numbness on your head...

Take Care and Blessing to you, Orchid.

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

I really am happy that the operation went well and I hope you are still not having any really bad pain and that the operation was a complete success. I know you will keep us all informed.

kneesandpaws said...

I'm so glad you're okay and that you felt us praying for you. Here's some more good intentions for that pain to melt away very soon.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I'm glad to read things are proceeding well. Praying for a swift recovery AND all the results you wanted.

orchid said...

Orchid again, good morning♬♬♬
Thank for your comment to my post. I'm SO happy you're well enough to leaving comments♡♡♡
I just hope that you are not pushing yourself too much and wish your prognosis is good and your husband is doing fine. Happy to know you had his friend's wonderful strong helping hand.
Take Care of yourself♪♪♪

Blessing to both of you, Orchid.