Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Castle

Even though I've had some other things going on this week that have taken my attention, I couldn't go much longer without posting about my wonderful night out, compliments of Amy. I stayed last Friday night at the Castle Inn in Wichita. It's got wonderful history and was a very relaxing setting for my stressed out body.

The owners had not planned on being open Easter weekend but because they got several requests for rooms they decided to be open Friday night only. Because they were not there we were not served the desserts on Friday night or the breakfast on Saturday morning. We did have very good coffee, though.

I arrived about 5:45 pm (check in is no later than 6:00 pm) and was given a short tour of the castle and then shown to my room. I was told I could take any pictures that I wanted and go into any room if the entry door was open. No problem. I got my camera and started my tour.

Here is the outside of the castle:

That is from the parking lot. The balcony above the right arch is off the room I was in and is shared with the room above the left arch. My room also had a front (private) balcony.

Front of the castle:
You can see my private balcony in the above picture. It's the one on the left of the picture, above the window. It is barely wide enough for a chair but it was still nice to go out on and enjoy the view.

There are so many rooms that I can't possibly put the pictures up of them all. Here is one picture of a sitting area fireplace. According to the literature, this fireplace is 650 years old:
My room was the "Mary, Queen of Scots" room and it was lovely. It also had a fireplace (there are 14 in the castle) and a jacuzzi tub. I stayed in the tub until I was a prune! It has a king sized bed, which was pretty comfortable considering this is a hotel. Each of the guest rooms contains a journal for jotting down thoughts and sentiments. Many of the guests who had written in the journal had stayed there to celebrate an engagement, a wedding, or an anniversary. It was wonderful to read the stories each had taken the time to share.

The castle also has a library where you can borrow movies or books to enjoy in your room. I took "Life with Father" with the intention of watching it but watched HGTV until midnight instead. LOL, that's not much different than any other Friday night.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I did come home refreshed and more relaxed than I had been in quite some time. I appreciate Amy's generosity in so many areas and this is just one more example of her selflessness. It was not an inexpensive treat she gave me and I am deeply touched and grateful.

No comments: