Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ron update

Ron’s gone to the surgeon today to have the staples removed. He’s already been fitted with a “stump shaping sock” that he’ll wear for the next few weeks until they start working on getting his prosthesis made. He’ll have a temporary one for awhile to make sure that things are going well and that no further surgery is required. I’m hoping that he is as “short” as he’ll go and that he’ll just continue to improve from here. He passed his “brain game” work so doesn’t need to see the speech therapist anymore. I think part of his confusion was stemming from the poison flowing through his body and now that it is gone, he should feel much better overall. That’s my hope, anyway.

Even though he’s doing really well in rehab, it’s still a very structured environment and I’m worried about him coming home and having an empty house with no one there to help him do things. I’m trying to not be stressed about it, but when I lay down at night to sleep, the fears and worries just try to take over. I guess I’m not very good at letting them go even though I’m doing what my sister-in-law suggested (literally giving them to God, putting them in a box, closing the lid and laying it at His feet). I think that I’ve moved on but the panic just doesn’t want to let go. Then, I get all congested – feel like I can’t breathe and the panic just has a deeper and deeper stronghold. It sucks. Our niece suggested a song from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer to Ron last week when he was worried about rehab – Put One Foot in Front of the Other (probably not the correct title) – to help him get through things. I’ve been singing the Rudolph song myself. Hahaha!

Last night was really tough for me. I took my medicine and my head was still very congested. So, I did the nasal wash solution (yucky, but when I did it consistently twice daily, the allergy symptoms were much less) to try and get some relief. It was slow to come so I spent some time in the Word while I waited for everything to kick in and open up the sinuses. By the time I was ready to lie down, I was better but not comfortable. I slept with my hand on my Bible last night just to try and have the peace inside somehow transfer to me. Crazy, isn’t it?

I'll get with the program - it may just take me awhile. I've got almost as much, if not more, to digest and work through than Ron does.


VaSpillman said...

had to chuckle...no, its not one bit 'crazy'! When I was in the hospital I slept with my bible, you would have thought it was a teddy bear...just having the Word close was (and is) a big comfort! Good for you... I am happy for you and for Ron, very happy about the good progress he has made. Sounds like you are making progress too...at least you KNOW where your source of strength is! That is 3/4 th of the battle! ") Praying for you both, and knowing happier days are ahead. Hugs, Veronica

Kathy said...

One day at a time and if that is too much....try one hour....or even one minute. It will all be okay. :)

Silver Strands said...

Yeah. Coming home is usually much anticipated, then really hard in reality. It's good you've got a handle on reality now. Things will work out.

Pat said...

Will Ron be able to have a nurse or aide visit him for awhile at home? Maybe he can qualify for that for awhile. Or if he has to have therapy, they can come and get him and drive him to it.

Hang in there!

Marla said...

Not crazy at all.