Monday, July 12, 2010

The waiting game

I didn't sleep much last night, but I didn't really expect that I would. I got home about 11:00 and by the time I switched out the laundry, made the bed, had a bite to eat, and did all of the other winding down things, it was about 12:30. I set my alarm for 5:15 and hoped for the best.

{sigh} Awake at 1:30... awake at 3:15... awake at 4:30.  Do you think I could be AWAKE at 5:15 when it really mattered??? Nooooo... not this chick. My alarm went off but I barely moved. I was exhausted and didn't feel good but I knew I had to get up.

The more I tried to "get going" the slower I moved. It finally dawned on me that I was having a low blood sugar, so I had a few blackberries and three prunes (hey - they're sweet... natural sugar). Finally got myself together and out the door. Got 10 minutes down the road and realized I'd forgotten my phone.

{big SIGH} Back home to get it, which cost me 20 minutes - the amount of time it would take me to finish my trip to the hospital. I was torn - I really needed my phone but I wanted to be there before 6:00. Now it was looking like 6:30 was the time. I got here at 6:20 and Ron was already gone to pre-op. I came to the waiting room and there was no volunteer here so I went back up to his floor and asked the nurses if they could find me someone to take me back to pre-op to see him. Back down to surgery waiting... I waited, and waited, and waited... No one came.

Finally, I decided that I had to go get something to eat, take my medication, and get my computer. I'm back in the waiting room and I still don't know anything about when they're actually going to take him to the OR. They haven't called the waiting room (which is standard procedure here - when patient goes into surgery, a nurse calls and says what time surgery is starting).

So, here I sit. I "need" to work but my mind doesn't want to concentrate. My next check will be 32 hours short and that is a very bad thing for us. Very bad... Medical expenses are going to be extremely high and I am a bit concerned about how I'm going to pay for all of the deductibles and the other everyday expenses we have, especially since my next couple of paychecks will be virtually non-existent.

{super big SIGH} These "boot straps" are going to be up around my armpits by the time I'm done pulling myself up by them.

Love you all; thanks for the prayers and well-wishes.

6 comments:

SkippyMom said...

You concentrate on yourself and Ron and don't worry about work - it will work out in the end, you'll see.

We all love you and are praying for you.

[I am really surprised no one came to get you. - sorry about that]

Hang tough girlie - it will be fine, you'll see :)

Pat said...

I am saying my prayers. Keep us posted please! Good luck!

Silver Strands said...

Oh Teresa. This is really tough. Thoughts and prayers with you. And you know what? I heard it once said "if money can solve it, it's not a real problem" and I've come to believe it. The money issues will always be around. Not only that, they disappear, reappear, go away, peek back ... but they aren't important. It's just money. You have love. You have everything. So if you can, throw the money worries aside and spend your energy on your love. Lots of happy thoughts and prayers for you.
oxoxo
Denalee

SkippyMom said...

Quick update: Teresa called and said Ron made it through surgery sucessfully!

I am sure she will be posting as soon as she can get some rest but she asked me to post an update.

Take care and isn't it a fabulous day? Go Ron and Teresa! YAY

colenic said...

Teresa- I've been thinking and sending positive thoughts your way since I read Skippymom's post this morning...blogger wouldn't let me comment on your post this morning but I am thrilled to hear that the surgery is done. hang in there...and know that there are people thinking about you...

Kathy said...

You are both in my thoughts. Hope everything went well.