Sunday, January 8, 2012

Looks like the ship return is a no-go

Such a shame... Ron was really looking forward to it. He's decided that he's not able to get around Shaun and Jenny's 2-story house. The bedrooms are upstairs, as is the bathroom/shower. There is a 1/2 bath downstairs but it's not really handicap accessible. He would have to sleep on the sofa or in the recliner (which is not that big of a deal but not great) and he could get into the bathroom, it would not be easy.

Going up and down the stairs 2-3 times a day are just more than he can muster. There's no way I can afford the airline tickets, a rental car, and seven nights in a hotel (we're looking at around $2,000 for all that - give or take and I've got nothing of value I could sell or trade). If it was just me, I could sleep on the sofa or get an air mattress. I have no mobility problems. But, I've seen his ship return and he has not. I won't go without him because that would be unfair. Shaun is going to be very disappointed that we're not coming but I told him to not blame Jenny for it. Shaun really wanted to show Ron around the base. He is very proud of his accomplishments and wanted his dad to see that part of his life. Ron wants to see it.

He had about decided that if we couldn't afford a hotel, he didn't want to go. It was a pretty easy decision for him to make once he found out that Jenny would prefer we not come if he's not able to get around the house easily and she didn't want the added stress. I understand her concerns (to a point; he's MY concern - not hers) but I have to admit that there seems to be some underlying issues I'm not aware of or she wouldn't be putting so many stumbling blocks in our way.

You'd think she'd be on-board with the kids seeing their grandparents and Ron experiencing the ship return. I thought it was something to be excited about.

That's what I get for thinking.

3 comments:

not displayed said...

Oh how sad you have to miss your trip.
The change of scenery would have been good for you.

Difficult situation though.

Sending you a big hug

Lois said...

That is a shame, and complicated. I know when my husband's mother comes to visit I nearly die of fright every time she climbs my stairs [steep and narrow] to the bathroom. I feel terrible that we don't have an easier option for her in our old house. Hopefully she can verbalize her concerns better, and I'm sending you a hug as well...

Southhamsdarling said...

It's a difficult situation all round really, isn't it? But I do feel sad for Ron that he is not able to make it, and sad for Shaun also, as I'm sure he would love to show his dad around. Perhaps something might yet still turn up. Hugs to you my friend. Try not to think too much about what you see as stumbling blocks being put forward. I don't expect anything is meant by it.