Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Today is not going so well

Ron bled and bled last night. I changed his dressing twice (left the packing alone) and because he didn't get up at all during the night, it didn't bleed through again.

That is a key statement... Ron didn't get up AT ALL during the night. He slept very well. Problem is, he's slept all day, too. In his awake, lucid moments he asks me quite strange questions. Who I'm talking to (no one; we're home alone), where he's supposed to go (obviously, back to bed), he's not sleepy (with his eyes closed), etc. Maybe, he's so tired today because he's anemic and all that blood loss has caused him fatigue. That's what I hope.

The ambulatory surgery center called to check on him. I know they can't control the fact that doctors (because they have to) send patients home too early, they did sympathize with me over the fact that Ron went home too early.

I unwrapped his foot this afternoon and did a total dressing change – just like I was told to do. I pulled on the packing – and pulled, and pulled, and pulled. Then I nearly threw up. I did cry. I am not a nurse, dimmit! I hyperventilated and thought “I’ve got to get this wrapped back up before something from the air lands in it.”

Then I called the wound care nurses. I did a temporary dressing - wet 4x4s soaked in my "homemade" Dakin solution (1/4% bleach solution) and then wrapped with more (dry) 4x4s and covered with Kerlix. I have to take him in tomorrow morning to have them re-dress and reassess the situation. I said the last time he had a hole in his foot this big, they put a wound VAC on it. I am appalled that the doctor thought this was no big deal. I told that nurse I’ve been doing a lot of stuff over the past few years and I’ve packed shallow wounds, but this is beyond my realm of comfort. I’d post a picture except I don't want people to get physically ill.

He goes back to the IV nurse on Thursday morning for another round of IV iron infusion. The wound care nurses will tell me tomorrow about seeing him again between now and Tuesday, when he sees the surgeon.

Until then, I'm physically ill from it all.


SkippyMom said...

oh god. I think I am going to be sick just from your description. How the heck do you do this? I love Pooldad with everything [as I know you do Ron] but I simply couldn't do it.

I am so sorry they sent him home early - if he is so anemic shouldn't they be giving him something or considering a transfusion? It is very rare for men to have anemia so when they are it is pretty bad [look who I am telling, you know this - I am sure]

I hope you get some help, truly.

Kathy said...

Oh my word...I haven't kept up with my blog reading the past couple of days and look what I missed. I am thinking about you....isn't it a crime what has happened to medicine in our country. You shouldn't have to do what they are expecting you to do. Shame on them.

Anemia is tough. My boss at work has a port and is getting the IV iron. Not a fun thing. I hope he feels better soon and I hope you get some rest.

Keep us posted.

Rae said...

I think you qualify as a nurse with all that you have been doing the last few years. Wounds are tough to handle for everyone - even nurses. It is the rare person that can look at a gaping wound and not be sick.

Marla said...

You are one tough cookie. I am seriously in awe of you, my friend.