Thursday, April 24, 2008

Gas is up again

I know I should not be shocked when I drive by the stations. After all, they've said on the news casts that gasoline was on its way up with no end in sight and we'd probably see $4.00 per gallon this summer. Still, seeing it up nearly ten cents every week is a big shock. Some increases have been as high as twenty-four cents in one jump. It's truly sticker shock.

I filled my van on Monday and it cost nearly $63 to do so. I paid $3.299 per gallon (had ten cents off compliments of Dillon's grocery store). Today the cost is $3.499 per gallon. With as many trips as we take all over Wichita I am filling the tank more and more often.

While I was out on Monday running Ron to his various appointments I spotted a Medicab service. I got a card and called to see if it would be more cost effective for me to have them take Ron to some appointments so I don't lose as much pay by taking off so many hours per week without pay. I was totally shocked! I realize they have a lot of overhead and they're in the business to make money but at $35 per trip (that's one way, not round trip) it's something that's totally out of the scope of our budget. That would be $70 each time he went to the doctor and it's payable at the time of service. No way, no day so it's back to the drawing board for us.

God has always met our needs, above and beyond most of the time. If we are in need of something He has the power to create a response in someone to provide that need. As odd as it sounds I'm really not stressed about finances or what we're going to do. Isaiah 12:2 says, "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation." This is so true and such a comfort to me. I have it on my computer monitor at work and I frequently read it to remind myself that He is able and will always be there for me, no matter what - even if gas is $4.00 per gallon and I have to choose between filling the tank or filling the pantry.

No comments: