Sunday, April 13, 2008

Taxes

I wish there was something positive I could say about these. I guess saying that I've completed them is a positive. But we owe. BIG TIME.

I had gotten behind in filing due to Ron's ongoing medical problems and when we had a lull in them, my hard drive crashed. I didn't want to re-enter all of the information into a new program since I'd depreciated some assets for home business use and I was really trying to retrieve the information that was on the drive. So I sent my hard drive to a friend for him to retrieve the information and it took him a year to get it back to me. By then Ron was having medical problems again.

In 2005 I got 2003 and 2004 completed and today I did 2005, 2006, and 2007. We are getting a small refund for 2006 but owe quite a bit for 2005 and 2007 - both Federal and State. Part of it is our own fault for not checking Ron's deductions sooner. Part of it is how his share disbursement was handled.

In a nutshell, we're going to be making payments to the IRS and Kansas for a long time. I hope they take it easy on us. We might have to contact one of those lawyers who can help you get your tax burden reduced. LOL!

No comments: