Friday, August 22, 2008

Our Anniversary

After a day of doctor's appointments for Ron, we checked into the Hilton. Our room was actually a suite with a separate bedroom, which was huge. The living room boasted a sectional sofa, desk and chair, flat panel TV, coffee table, and TV armoire. The bedroom had a king sized bed, flat panel TV, dresser, and arm chair. The bathroom was very large with a whirlpool tub and separate over-sized shower. Finally, there was a small kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. It was nice. But it was not $450 PER NIGHT nice. I don't understand how and why people would consider spending $450 per night on a hotel room. Why would anyone need a hotel room with that much space that costs that much money per night? It's beyond me, but then again I'm not in the income bracket of people who would think that this would be the norm. This suite was bigger than the one bedroom (550 sq ft) apartment that Ron and I rented last summer. The only thing missing was the washer and dryer.

We ate dinner at Legend's and enjoyed the rib eye steak dinner. They were very good and the portions large enough that we had the remainder for dinner last night. It was also quite expensive. Two dinners, water to drink, and two pieces of cake came to $58 with tip. That's not something we would do on a regular basis.

After dinner we decided to go to the hot tub. The pool area was deserted except for us, so that was nice. I turned on the jets according to the instructions and waited for the water to churn. And waited. And waited. Finally it looked like there was some movement in the water. What a sad, sorry excuse for a hot tub! The water was barely warmer than a normal bath and the whirlpool action was pitiful. Isaiah could make more bubbles in the water than this. But, I stuck it out for a while before I said I'd had enough. Besides, we had a whirlpool tub in the room and I could enjoy that.

Later in the evening I ran the water for the tub, anticipating a wonderfully relaxing soak. I made sure the water was just the right temperature and high enough to cover the jets but not so high that it would bubble over once it was turned on. I got in and got all comfy and pushed the button to turn on the tub. Nothing. Pushed again. Still nothing. Ron and I just laughed as that seemed to be the theme of the day. He came in on the scooter and tried to see if the circuit was tripped. Nope, it was just fine. I saw a timer on the wall so got out and tried it to see if it made the jets run. Nope, that wasn't it.

I decided I'd had enough and I was going to just go to bed and watch TV. As I'm draining the tub I noticed another timer on a different wall (not even close to the tub) so I turned it on. Lo and behold - it turned the jets on. So I stopped the draining and re-filled the tub. I was finally able to enjoy a 15 minute soak (before the timer turned off) and whirlpool action that was actually something.

We watched television until about midnight and then turned out the lights. Part of our stay included breakfast in the concierge lounge so the next morning we hauled ourselves up there to enjoy a complimentary breakfast. As far as free breakfasts go, it was OK but nothing spectacular. Scrambled eggs, old-fashioned potatoes, an assortment of fruit, yogurt, and juices, different breads, cereal, and milk. Not bad for free.

We checked out about 10:00 am yesterday and headed home. That was our exciting anniversary.

I'm expecting to do something really spectacular for our 25th. I'm envisioning a cruise... I better start saving my money now!

No comments: