Thursday, February 21, 2008

I appreciate you…

Such simple words but they convey so much meaning! My step-son (DSS) said those words to me yesterday and it meant a great deal to hear them.

He said he appreciated that I take such good care of his dad and that I have stuck with him. I said I didn’t see that I’ve done anything special or out of the ordinary. Doing something different has never entered my mind. “For better or for worse” is what I signed up for – as did DH.

DSS said that a lot of women would bail when things got tough. That’s just not the way it’s done in my house.

I had a great role model – my own mother. She stuck by my dad when leaving would have been an easier (seemingly) option. Sure, they had their ups and their downs but she also made a promise and a commitment to him.

I give my mom kudos for taking care of my dad. He had his first heart attack at 56 and passed away in 2005 at the age of 74. She nursed him back to health many times – even when her own health was bad. My dad had several procedures over several years and my mom took really good care of him. She cleaned up after "accidents" and was there, waiting on him for anything he needed - anytime he needed it. Until I was in this situation I never realized how much work it was and how hard it must have been on her. I told her recently that I totally salute her efforts. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to tell her how much I appreciated how hard she worked all those years with my dad. I'm sure it was never easy for her as he wasn't the best of patients and didn't possess a lot of patience.

So, if there's an opportunity for you to tell someone they're appreciated - no matter what the situation - then make sure you jump on the chance to share your appreciation. I know my mom appreciated being recognized and I appreciated being recognized.

No comments: