Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Meanest mom

Each generation has one. I thoroughly enjoy reading the Meanest Mom blog. She sounds like she is definitely in the meanest mom category. I think I was the meanest mom of my generation. We didn't give allowances for doing housework (you live here - you help clean it up), we didn't shop at the "name brand" stores (Wal-mart was good enough for me, it's good enough for you), and we didn't act like we were put on this earth to be our children's personal secretaries, chauffeurs, or maids.

I remember when Amy was about 14 she wanted a sweatshirt with "something" written on it - you know, like Guess, Old Navy, or something. We didn't shop places where you could buy shirts with cutesy logos that screamed "we have more money than we know what to do with, so we're shopping at these high-priced stores." No sirree, we shopped at Wal-mart and K-mart. Sometimes, we shopped at the new "French" store in town - Target'. Or, if we were feeling really flush with money, "Jacques Penney" was our destination.

So, in order to help my child feel like she fit in with her friends and not feel like a social outcast - a true piranha of society - I took one of her sweatshirts and obligingly wrote "something" on it and said, "There, now you have a shirt with something written on it." She was not impressed. I thought the writing was very well done. I don't know what her problem was with it.

We "meanest moms" have to stick together. I think Amy may be working on the title for her generation. I can hardly wait. Check out "Mommy hurt my feelings" on Isaiah's blog to see what I mean.

No comments: