Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Girls weekend out

My best friend, Debbie, called me today. She said she'd been thinking about me and it was on her mind to just give me a call. It was nice to hear her voice. We haven't gotten together for quite a while and haven't seen each other since my 50th birthday party two years ago.

Several years ago when our kids were still relatively small we met at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO and camped out. Debbie and her two kids; me and my three kids. We pitched our own tents (of course, we got help from some of the other campers because Amy went and told them her mom had no idea what she was doing and they didn't want to sleep outside so a couple of men took pity on us). It's been long enough ago that I don't remember a whole lot of details but Debbie's call today triggered some of them. She had been thinking about how a hamburger and cup of coffee we'd made the next morning after our first night and how much fun we'd had then.

Debbie lives in southern MO and since I live in central Kansas, Branson was an ideal place for us to meet up. Now that the kids are grown and we're grandparents, and have other responsibilities, it's harder for us to get away. The last trip Debbie and I took together was probably about eight years ago. Shaun needed his vehicle that we'd been keeping at our house so Debbie and I drove it to Virginia, spent the weekend, and then flew back. It was a nice time and we took our time getting to Norfolk.

Debbie suggested we get together this year for a much-needed break. I was only too happy to agree. I need a break. Badly. I know, it seems like I just had one but my life is very stressful with all the responsibilities that I have. Ron is a constant worry and I don't go anywhere anymore without making sure that I have plenty of people on hand to either be with him or check on him. He rarely eats when I'm not home so someone has to make sure that he gets some food.

I suggested the Precious Moments Chapel in Carthage, MO as a place to meet. It would only cost us the gas for the trip and 1/2 of a hotel room. The chapel is free and the grounds are beautiful. I've been several times but Debbie has never been. She thought that sounded like a grand plan.

Now we just need to find a weekend that we're both available and the weather isn't supposed to be bad. I'm thinking about 10/25 or so.

Maybe...

No comments: