Friday, September 19, 2008

Vascular Dementia...

How would I know if Ron is affected with the early stages of this or if his memory problems are just another side effect of his already jumbled medical problems? When he had the MRI in July it did show some vascular changes but they were attributed to the chronic kidney diseas and the acute kidney failure he was in. I have no idea if those things were corrected with the medication changes or not.

According to this website: Vascular Dementia, "The risk factors associated with vascular dementia, therefore, are those associated with cardiovascular disease. These include: high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, a family history of heart problems, disease in arteries elsewhere in the body, and heart rhythm abnormalities. Lifestyle factors like being overweight or smoking can contribute to the risk, as well." Ron has all of the things in bold - plus his other health problems. This could mean that his problems are the onset of something more sinister.

I don't know about it but I do know that he's convinced that he has something going on in his brain, and I'm not so sure that I don't agree with him. He's taking less pain medication than he has in the past so I can't blame that. He's on a lot less of every kind of medication so it's hard to blame prescriptions.

At this point, I'm not willing to admit or suspect anything that is long-term and permanent. I'm more worried about Tardive Dyskinesia caused by six years of metoclopramide use. He fits part of the TD diagnosis, but not all. He has intention tremors of his hands but he also has difficulty getting started and slow reactions so not sure where exactly he falls in all of this.

At this point in our lives, a miracle would sure be nice. A couple of miracles... I hate to be greedy but we could use a whole handful of miracles. LOL! I know He's listening so I'll just wait and see what He decides to continue to bless us with.

No comments: